Materials you'll need to make one:
- sand paper or a sander
- chalkboard vinyl
- a Cricut (or something like it that will cut shapes & letters for you)
- Red or green paint for the background
- Cream paint for the edges (or you can just sand the edges)
- Foam brushes (they work best if you're going to dry brush the edges)
- Plastic plate for your paint
- Newspaper to protect your work surface
1. My husband cut a whole bunch of 14" pieces of wood for me. You can have it done where you buy your wood, or do it yourself if you're savvy with power tools. He also sanded them for me (if you're just making one, it won't seem so overwhelming to sand it with sand paper instead of a sander ;)
2. Then I painted the wood red (or green). Leave one side unpainted, or it'll be sticking to your newspaper or whatever you've got your wood sitting on, to dry! The paint will be brighter when it's wet.
3. After it dries you can dry brush the edges with the cream paint (or use sand paper to rough it up). (Click her to see how to dry brush your edges).
4. Your last step is to cut out the vinyl & stick it on! (I made my letters 1.25" tall with the Cricut American Alphabet Cartridge) in Cricut's vinyl in "latte".
I used Silhouette's chalkboard vinyl and the Sophisticated Cricut cartridge to make the chalkboard shape with Cricut's "Sophisticated" cartridge- I made the chalkboard shape 2.75" tall.
I'm really happy with the way they turned out! All you need is a piece of chalk and you can update your countdown each day! :)
If you liked this post, you'll probably like my
Christmas Tree Advent with Drawers :)
And if you're preparing for Christmas, click here to see 100 Non-Toy Gift Ideas!