Raising Memories: Tutorial Tuesday: DIY Dollar Store Hurricane Vases
  

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tutorial Tuesday: DIY Dollar Store Hurricane Vases

Please join me today in welcoming the fabulous Kim!  You might remember her from this feature I did on her and her blog last year.  Well, today she's back with a fabulous holiday tutorial for you!

------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone!  My name is Kim and I blog over at The Kim Six Fix.  I mostly write about DIY home improvement and home decorating projects, but I also have 3 kids so I frequently throw in my favorite kid-friendly recipes and craft projects.   
 
In my spare time I'm addicted to iced coffee, Pinterest and bad reality TV (which I don't blog about but do talk about on Facebook and Twitter.)  You can also find me on Instagram and Google+.
 
I want to thank Heather so much for giving me this chance to share a super fast, easy and inexpensive project tutorial for the holidays! 



 
I LOVE decorating for holidays and I am always trying to find vases and candlesticks that can add height

and interest to vignettes and mantle arrangements.   I came across

these candlesticks during a google search and I thought they would be

perfect:


 
I love how they are tall and thin, (perfect for a mantle), they vary in height, and the silver stems anchor them and add interest (instead of a regular hurricane vase which is completely transparent.) 
 
See? Perfect! Right?
 
Wellllll...
 
The problem was that (1) they were only available in Europe and (2) they were 68 Euros (or about $90!)  There goes that idea.   Now I was on a mission to knock them off.
 
First stop? The dollar store where I picked up these two candlesticks and tall vases for $4.




The shape was right, but now I needed to make the stems look like they were silverplate.  Enter metallic spray paint:



 
A couple coats later and things were looking really promising:

 


To attach the stems to the vases, I inverted them and used super glue to stick them together.




And once they were dry, they were good to go!



 
For a Christmas display I decided to add some cheap plastic ornaments:





 I love how the finish came out:

 

Not bad for $2 each:



---------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks so, so much for visiting the blog today & sharing this creative tutorial with us, Kim!  I'm so happy to have had you here!  I hope everyone visits your blog to check out some of your other great posts!
---------------------------------------------------------------




Thanks for visiting my blog!

Please subscribe or follow to keep in touch.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing my tutorial Heather Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a nice post. The information in this article is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much i love a nice things that cost less

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment- I love reading them! :)
~Heather Lynne

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *