1. I have a severe phobia of anything that buzzes around my head, but I love to garden so I've taught myself to deal with the fear because I can't resist getting my hands in some dirt in the Springtime. And bees are unavoidable in a garden.
2. I am the spitting image of my Dad. It's kind of scary, actually.
3. Every time I clean the lint out of the dryer I hold my breath so I don't inhale lint particles into my lungs.
4. My husband and I each have our own top sheets on our bed. It's a must for a healthy relationship. It totally eliminates the 3 am Cover Snatching Battle Royale.
5. I wore a pair of old worn out Nike's underneath my wedding dress. Best decision I've ever made.
I'm a mommy blogger turned home design blogger. You'll find a whole lot of DIY craftiness and interior design ideas peppered with some cute pics of my kid. I try to be funny. Sometimes I succeed. Oh, and on occasion I talk about gardening. Look for those posts from the time Spring fever hits me on the first 60 degree day in late February until about mid-May. Then I lose interest because I live on the surface of the sun (aka central Alabama) where it's 95+ for most of Summer and Fall.
My top 5 most popular posts according to Google Analytics:
5. From Yellow to Blue: a Kitchen Transformation - In early 2011 I decided to change our kitchen paint color from a golden yellow to Restoration Hardware Silver Sage. It's been the best paint choice I've ever made. That Silver Sage color is like a chameleon - changes colors with the light, matches everything and makes me squeal every time I see it.
4. Sucker for Succulents: A DIY Succulent Wreath Tutorial - Ever since I was a little girl helping my mom plant hens and chickens in a strawberry pot, I've been a sucker for succulents. They are so hard to kill--even in brutal Alabama summers--and they look stunning in tight groupings. These succulent wreaths are overwintering in my sunroom right now. Still going strong! I also auctioned one of these off to help raise money for the Alabama tornadoes earlier this year. I'm so glad succulents are gaining popularity right now.
3. Pottery Barn Inspired Ladder Lantern Hanger - I'm not sure if it's just because I used the words "Pottery Barn" in the title or what, but people LOVE this rustic old ladder that I turned into a chandelier over my patio table. I used hanging mason jars and a Moravian star to create a twinkly little bit of rustic charm. Altogether between the ladder, the mason jars and the star lantern I think I might have formed a trifecta of perfection with this one. It gained popularity when it was featured by Centsational girl, and it remains near the top of the most favorited all time popular photos on Dwelling Gawker.
2. The Obligatory House Tour - Since I'm (obviously) a home and interior design blogger, I felt that I had to participate in that whole "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" thing. I know I love getting a peek inside other bloggers beautiful homes. There is so much inspiration to be found on the internet. And it's kinda fun to be nosy, right?
1. Taking Glowing Pictures of the Christmas Tree - Without a doubt, this is the most popular post that I've ever written. I snapped some pics of my son in front of the Christmas tree one night last year and pretty soon he was flying all around the world wide web! The power of Pinterest is an awesome thing. Once this photo started going viral on Pinterest there was no stopping it. I never imagined it would be so popular, but it's currently sitting at around 100,000 pageviews. Note to self: Write more easy to understand photography tutorials.
How/Why did you start blogging? Has your reason for blogging changed? If so, why?
Maybe I'm showing my age here, but my blog began as a personal journal where I copied and pasted those 101 Getting to Know You type questions from my myspace page. Those have long been deleted, so don't go searching for 'em. Then I got pregnant and turned into a complete hermit for 9 months, so my blog went silent for most of 2007. After my son was born it turned into full-on mommy blog where I documented every smile/ laugh/ coo/ poop for the first year. Then, somewhere along the way I started posting more home decor ideas and boom, I changed course again. I'm pretty much an exclusive home design blogger these days. You'll find a little bit of personal stuff but I try to keep it to a minimum. For some reason it was much easier to blab about my family life back when I only had 4 followers. Now I'm more cautious about what I post, but I try to be open and honest about keeping it real. I will admit that I have tried to reign in my potty mouth now that I know my husband's coworkers and Granny are reading my blog. It's been a challenge. :)
Where did the name for your blog come from?
A lot of people are curious about how my blog got it's name. During the time I was mulling over the idea of creating a public blog, my friend Dusty at All Things G&D was talking about her trip to see Poison in concert. She inspired me to name my blog Unskinny Bop, but then I glanced over at the Boppy pillow that my son was sitting in on the floor and POOF! A magical idea was formed. If you weren't into big hair bands in the 80's then there is a chance that none of this will make any sense to you. If you do know what I'm talking about, then you already have that song stuck in your head. You're welcome.
Would you like to see your blog featured here? I'll be doing a "Feature Friday" post, featuring one blogger & their blog on Fridays throughout 2012. If you have a blog that you'd like to see featured, please send me an email to raisingmemories at gmail dot com to submit your blog.