As we're down to about a month of summer, I thought I'd share those tips here again, along with a few links to resources on the blog that will give you some more specific or detailed ideas and inspiration for planning your own Staycation!
Happy Staycation planning!
Here's the video first, and then I'll outline all of my tips (not all of them were in the video)
1. Do Something New!
Whether you choose to do a staycation because you want to save money on travel & hotels, or because you want to explore your local area more, you can find lots of local options you’ve never tried before that fit within any budget!
- Go somewhere local that you've never been before
- Search for "(Your Location) Attractions" or "(Your Location) Tourism" and you can find lists of things that people come to visit your area for. Look over the list and if you haven’t done it before, add it to your list of ideas
- If you're looking for fun in your own backyard, you might like to try an easy backyard campout!
2. Document Your Adventures (But Don't Overdo it!)
It’s so nice to be able to look back on and re-live the memories you make!
- Take the right equipment with you (camera, video camera, even underwater cameras) or just your smart phone
- Document the moments but don’t document EVERYTHING. Remember to put that tech down & enjoy what’s happening in the moment. Don’t interrupt the fun to get everyone to pose for a photo or “do that again so I can get a photo”... sometimes over-documenting can ruin the moment!
- Want some basic tips to up your photography game? I did a series called "How to Take Better Photos with the Camera You Already Have"
- Here's some of my favourite travel photography from our trip across Eastern Canada!
3. Exclude Technology
Most of us are entertained by movies, shows, games, social media and screens in general during our regular daily life- vacation is the time to leave the norm behind! Just don't do it- put it away as much as possible and make connections with the people around you!
- Check out these Tips for Managing Screen Time During Summer Break
4. Be Flexible, Adventurous, & Spontaneous!
You may be staying around home, but you’re on vacation- don’t forget that! Sometimes it's hard for us adults but be spontaneous!
- Your kids want to play soccer with a tumbleweed? Drop what you're doing & join in!
- Someone wants to know what's down a path they just spotted? Put your plans on hold & go, explore together!
5. Be Prepared
Don’t forget to prepare for expected (and unexpected) weather and changing temperatures
- Pack sunblock, bug spray, allergy medication, hats, sun glasses, sweaters, & umbrellas if you think you might need them
- 5 Tips to Be Summer Smart
- Take everything you need for the activities you have planned ( hiking shoes, quilt, folding chairs, snacks, a first aid kit, etc.)
6. Have A Backup Plan
If you have outdoor activities planned and, despite all your preparations, the weather just isn't cooperating, have some indoor options in mind:
- Indoor fun places (pools, bounce houses, escape rooms, laser tag, restaurants)
- Activities at home (pull out the board games, play a creative active game, think of ways to bring outdoor activities inside)
- Maybe you need to take a break at home for rest or naps, but there are some family members who need something to do- here's a fun outdoor idea: Water Gun Target Practice!
- Here's another great idea, for all ages: How to Make Sidewalk Chalk Paint
- And if you've got older kids, we had some fun outdoor games and activities at an end-of-summer party last year!
7. Have a Surprise Up Your Sleeve!
If you're vacationing with kids (or kids at heart), have a bonus plan ready that you haven't told everyone about!
- Plan to stop for a surprise treat
- Pull out glow stick or sparklers for an evening activity
- If you want an at-home surprise, try a fun treat! My kids loved this homemade watermelon ice cream cake! If that's not your style, here's a list of 25+ snack & treat ideas for summer break!
Now that you're in planning mode for summer adventures, you might like to check out my post on How to Make the Best of Your Family Beach Trip!